Tuesday, December 14, 2021 - 12:30pm to Thursday, December 16, 2021 - 4:30pm
API Testing Workshop—$895
- Get a foundational understanding of API Testing
- Gain experience and practice with hands-on exercises
- Learn API Testing best practices
- Sample common tools and techniques used in API Testing
Join us for this workshop-style class where we will examine and practice the benefits of API testing using commercial and open-source software. Students will leave with a better appreciation of the value of API testing, and how it can be applied to their work.
An application programming interface (API) acts as the plumbing for a system. For web applications, developers use a web API to communicate between the client and server. This API is often nothing more than regular text that follows a known pattern that both the client and server understand. Accessing this layer allows us to test differently. In the UI, certain invalid inputs are prevented, but the API will allow any possible ordering of text, which opens up a lot of possibilities for finding defects.
Why is testing at the API level valuable? For one, it lets us follow data-driven testing, so we can be faster and more robust than testing the UI. Also, it can be used to test the security; for example, does your server implicitly trust what the client is sending? Finally, it is an excellent method to confirm that when sending invalid information, the API should respond in a helpful manner. A large portion of the developer's work is debugging and maintenance, and API's that respond with helpful messages go a long way towards that goal.
Who Should Attend
This course is ideal for agile and DevOps teams who need to define and validate specific API use cases and understand the boundaries and expectations of the system. While some of the course requires writing code, the majority can be accomplished with a simple text editor, web browser, and access to the API we’re testing.
API testing techniques
Focus on negative cases
Clarity of error messages
Avoiding the network
API testing tools
General programming languages
Specialized tools for external API's
Class Daily Schedule
Day 1: 12:30pm-4:30pm ET/9:30am-1:30pm PT
Day 2: 12:30pm-4:30pm ET/9:30am-1:30pm PT
Day 3: 12:30pm-4:30pm ET/9:30am-1:30pm PT
Times represent the typical daily schedule. Please confirm class schedule at registration.
Training Course Fee Includes
- Easy course access: Attend training right from your computer and easily connect your audio via computer or phone. Easy and quick access fits todayís working style and eliminates expensive travel and long days in the classroom.
- Live, expert instruction: Instructors are sought-after practitioners, highly-experienced in the industry who deliver a professional learning experience in real-time.
- Valuable course materials: Courses cover the same professional content as our classroom training, and students have direct access to valuable materials.
- Rich virtual learning environment: A variety of tools are built in to the learning platform to engage learners through dynamic delivery and to facilitate a multi-directional flow of information.
- Hands-on exercises: An essential component to any learning experience is applying what you have learned. Using the latest technology, your instructor can provide hands-on exercises, group activities, and breakout sessions.
- Real-time communication: Communicate real-time directly with the instructor. Ask questions, provide comments, and participate in the class discussions.
- Peer interaction: Networking with peers has always been a valuable part of any classroom training. Live Virtual training gives you the opportunity to interact with and learn from the other attendees during breakout sessions, course lecture, and Q&A.
- Small class size: Live Virtual courses are limited in small class size to ensure an opportunity for personal interaction.